This year, General Assembly was the perfect time (November 13 – 16) and the perfect place (Orlando) for many to escape frigid temperatures. Better yet, the conference schedule was packed with inspirational stories, valuable wisdom, and practical tips for peer education groups.
The conference began Thursday morning with two pre-conference workshops. This year, we were lucky to have Dr. Jason Kilmer discuss current marijuana research, as well as the ever-popular Advisors Academy program. Beginning Thursday afternoon, attendees had lots of opportunities to learn about new programs that their peer programs are doing. We had 84 breakout sessions spread over nine breakout time slots. GA 2014 officially opened Thursday evening with an energetic hour from David Coleman.
Friday got underway with a griping keynote presentation by Andrea Mosby, who shared her personal journey from scared teenager, to professional and very proud mother. Later in the day, participants had the opportunity to attend more educational sessions, as well as the first of two featured speaker showcases. Attendees could choose among Matt Glowacki, Kelly Addington & Becca Tieder, or the BACCHUS Sexperts.
Saturday was packed with even more educational sessions. The day began with a keynote from (now mustachioed) Ross Szabo, who discussed the importance of maintaining good mental health. After lunch, participants were treated to a second featured speaker showcase. This session featured Gabe Wright, Shaun Sperling, and The Female Orgasm. The conference closed out with our annual awards banquet, where the best of the best were honored for their work. As always, our conference photographer Devin Kealey reflected back the conference in an amazing collection of photos, video, and song. Participants then danced, sipped mocktails, and got goofy in the photo booth.
Several new student leaders were elected at General Assembly:
- Sarah Devitt, SAC Director
- Damian Glover, SAC Director
- Mashaya Parks, SAC Communication Coordinator
New Student Advisory Committee (SAC) members from each area will be elected at spring area conferences.
Each year at the BACCHUS Initiatives of NASPA General Assembly, awards are presented to recognize outstanding peer education programs and individuals. The following programs and individuals received awards on November 15, 2014
- Kendra Reichel, Well PAC, Fort Lewis University
- JT Knoll, Gorillas in your Midst, Pittsburg State University
- Jayme Trogus, Millersville Peer Educators, Millersville University
- Terrance Harris, Wellness Interns, Stetson University
- Wendy Krisak, PACE, DeSales University
- Matthew Walla, Peer Health Educators, Saginaw Valley State University
- Hailey Mackie, Health and Wellness Peer Educators, Indiana University Purdue University- Indianapolis
- Aundrea Bevis, Project Health, University of Alabama
- Joshua Kaufmann, SPARKS Peer Education, Elon University
- Casey Stover, Millersville Peer Educators, Millersville University
- Rock Out the RedZone, UWF Peer Educators, University of West Florida
- JagFit!, Health and Wellness Peer Educators, Indiana University Purdue University- Indianapolis
- This is HAWE Do IT, Health and Wellness Educators, Roger Williams University
- Student vs Food, UNCW Health Promotion Peer Educators University of North Carolina Wilmington
- Tobacco Free UM, Fresh Air Crew, University of Montana Missoula
- Rubberwear, The UConn Sexperts (University of Connecticut)
Outstanding Peer Group
- UNCW Health Promotion Peer Educators, University of North Carolina Wilmington
- PACE, DeSales University
- Peer Educators, Valencia College
- Peer Health Educators, Radford University
- SPARKS Peer Education, Elon University
- The UConn Sexperts, University of Connecticut
Columbus State University claimed the titles of Best School Exhibit and Best BAC-Tail.
A big thank you goes out to this year’s sponsors and exhibitors:
- National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Sport Science Institute, Silver Sponsor
- Foundation for Advancing Alcohol Responsibility, Silver Sponsor
- R.I.S.E. Speaking and Consulting
- Gordie’s Center for Substance Abuse Prevention
- Sex Discussed Here!
Be sure to mark November 12 – 15, 2015 on your calendar for next year’s General Assembly in Reston, Virginia. We will be celebrating 40 years of BACCHUS and peer education!